November 29, 2011

Interview: Laurie Faria Stolarz author of Deadly Little Voices (Touch #4) Series


Thank you Laurie for dropping by our blog and letting us get to know you better!

1. How did you come up with the concept for this book?

I wanted to write a story where the main character has to struggle with the idea of falling in love with someone who could potentially be dangerous. I tinkered with this concept in the first three books of my Blue is for Nightmares Series [(Blue is for Nightmares (Llewellyn 2003), White is for Magic (Llewellyn 2004), and Silver is for Secrets (Llewellyn 2005), as well as in Bleed (Hyperion 2006)]. In Bleed, in particular, there’s a young male character who was convicted for the murder of his girlfriend. His next relationship consists of pen pal letters he exchanges with a young girl while he’s in prison. Without giving too much away, the relationship is briefly pursued once he is released, but I wanted to bring this concept to another level.
Additionally, I wanted to continue experimenting with the supernatural (which I also use in my Blue is for Nightmares Series as well as in Project 17), showing how we all have our own inner senses and intuition, and how with work we can tap into those senses and make them stronger.
I started researching different types of supernatural powers and discovered the power of psychometry (the ability to sense things through touch). The concept fascinated me, and so I wanted to bring it out in a character, showing how sometimes even the most extraordinary powers can also be a curse.
Lastly, I wanted to apply these concepts to be part of a series. I love the idea of growing a main character over the course of several books.




2.Do you read a lot and what are you reading now?
I do read a lot. When I'm writing, I tend to read a lot of non-fiction, but I did just read an ARC of a new young adult novel, VARIANT by Robison Wells. I couldn't put it down.


3. What made you decide to go Young adult?
Even though I loved making up stories as a young person, I wasn’t a big reader. As soon as I got slightly bored, I’d put whatever book I was reading down. I really wanted to target readers that were like me – those that didn’t naturally gravitate toward books. I wanted to get them excited about reading, the way certain authors did for me. I also think that those years of young-adulthood are so full of excitement, angst, drama, and emotion. Tension is high and stakes are raised. There’s so much opportunity for a writer.


4. How did the cover come about?
The covers are all done by my publisher. As the author, I don't really have much say, but I'm lucky because I love my covers.

5. So what is your next project and when is it due out?
Deadly Little Voices, the fourth book in the Touch series, will be out this December.


6. Do you have a daytime job or are you a full time writer?
I'm a full-time writer

7. How did you get into writing novels and were you worried about peoples reactions to your books?
I've been writing since I was a small child.
I’ve been writing since I was a child. Before I could even put pen to paper, I was making up stories and telling them to whomever would listen. It’s always been a part of who I am. It took me about two years to write my first book, BLUE IS FOR NIGHTMARES, I spent another year and a half editing it, and then another year trying to sell it. I learned a lot from that novel. I now work with an outline and know ahead of time where I’m going and what my character needs to achieve, as well as what he or she needs to learn in order to achieve it. I draft a novel in about 6 months’ time. I then spend another few months or so reworking it before I hand it in to my editor.



8. One last thing do you collect anything personally.
Hmmm...I love antiques - cookware, pottery, random furniture pieces (I have a kitchen island that was once in a French bakery; it's 150 years old). I also have old butcher blocks, and a 100-year-old cabinet from an Italian workshop.
Deadly Little Voices comes out in December be sure to check out the whole Touch series for a great book experience.

You can find Laurie HERE:

3 comments:

  1. cool talk! Interesting!!☻

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deadly Little Voices was the bomb!!!!!!!!!!☺☻♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i havent read deadly little voices yet but once i go to the local barnes and nobles i'll get it, that and "it wasnt supposed to happen like this" in the alice series, oh and also i have to get beautiful choas from the beautiful creatures series.i've got a list of boks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them :)