February 27, 2013

Review: Knot in Time (Tales of Uncertainty #1) by Alan Tucker

Summary-
My name is Darius Arthur Heisenberg, but most people call me Dare. If my last name sounds familiar, it's probably because of my great-great uncle Werner Heisenberg. He was a physicist who came up with something called the Uncertainty Principle. But listen, Uncle Werner had no idea how uncertain things really are. I work for a group, called the Keepers, that label themselves the custodians of time. And, believe me, time is a mess. It needs all the custodians it can get. Which is, of course, why the Keepers selected me, a nineteen-year-old high school dropout, to join them. I recently worked as a janitor for a couple months. Perfect fit, right? Okay, it didn't make much sense to me either, but I wasn't in a position to turn down a steady job and a roof over my head. Besides, all I'm supposed to do is travel through time and save the universe as we know it, how hard could it be? Yeah, better hold on. This could get ugly.
 
Review-
Dare, the main character of Knot In Time, and his female Martian sidekick, Lauri, make a great team in this highly enjoyable young adult sci-fi/fantasy story. Now sci-fi/fantasy is my favorite genre of all time so I really dove into this story hoping not to be disappointed. I was FAR from let down. Alan Tucker has created in Dare a reluctant, self-deprecating hero who is intelligent enough to keep the action coming non-stop. From Earth to an all gray facility back to Earth and up to Mars, the thread of the plot takes the reader throughout the universe and never gets boring. Tucker also assumes that the reader is smart enough to understand basic science so we are regaled with time travel, genetically engineered children, an indestructible enormous spider, a wide variety of spy tools, and giant hamsters
This book is a four and a half star because I thoroughly loved the plot and characters but would have liked to have seen a little more as far as relationships go. Dare was adopted and his adoptive parents eventually let him go because of his reckless antics. If he can travel anywhere, wouldn't he want to find his birth parents? Or try to understand why he acts so irresponsible and immature? At nineteen, kids are questioning life, both their past and present. Dare just allows life to carry him on its current. In future episodes of this Tales Of Uncertainty series, I would like to see more of a personal nature from Dare. After all, Lauri's unusual creation and traumatic childhood are scrutinized and discussed. Tucker needs to do the same with Dare. Overall, a great read and the beginning of what looks like a riveting series. Enjoy!!
 
Publisher- Mad Design Inc.
Reviewer Rating: 4.5 Stars
Reviewed by~Cindi
Thank you to the author for the donation of this book to the Read for your Future book program in exchange for a honest review!
free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them :)